Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 9 year old male German Shepherd had hernia surgery on

Customer Question

My 9 year old male German Shepherd had hernia surgery on Monday. He came home on Wednesday and everything had been fine. He had been on painkillers and still taking antibiotics. He is also wearing an e-collar at night and when I go to work. Last night while he was outside going to the restroom without his collar on, I lost sight of him and he ended up chewing off a few sutures. It's been draining and his leg looks swollen. His vet is closed today. I have been cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide like instructed since he came home. I'm taking him to his vet in the morning. What else can I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Was the hernia in his groin region? Or near his rectum?
What color is the drainage?
If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hernia surgery was in groin area. The discharge has been clear but sometimes slightly tinted with blood. I tried taking a picture but I couldn't get a good picture that'd show his incision.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Is there anyway he will lay on his back for you to do so (just as wound gaping in this situation will greatly dictate the urgency of this situation)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though the emergency vet is 1.5 hours away, I've decided to take him right now. I need peace of mind. Thank you for your time.