Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My Chihuahua has been restless, pacing and whimpering 24

Customer Question

My Chihuahua has been restless, pacing and whimpering for almost 24 hours. there are green stains on her bedding and a bit of blood. Is it normal to take this long?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
When did her temperature drop below 99F?
How long has there been green stains and blood on the bedding?
Is this dark or forest green?
When did she last eat?
Is she normally house trained?
Was the father smaller than her?
Did she have any x-rays or imaging done?
How many days since she mated?
JaCustomer,
I'm going to give you some information as you may be in an emergency situation with your girl. Once you see a greenish discharge that usually indicates that the placenta has separated and the pup should be born pretty quickly. Now this is a darkish green or even almost black discharge. A very light green might just be normal mucous that is seen during the week or so before delivery. Blood however is not normal.
So if it has been an hour since she has had a green discharge and blood, I have to recommend you have her seen as soon as possible. Chihuahuas are a breed that frequently requires a c-section to deliver pups due to the domed heads and slender hips.
I want to give you some sites that go over difficult labors and outlines the various problems that can occur during delivery as well as guidelines on when to see a vet.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dystocia-difficult-birth-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1628&articleid=899
The longer a pup is "stuck" the less chance the pup will survive even if eventually she does manage to push the pup out. The long labor with non productive pushing can lead to uterine inertia as well and put the whole litter at risk.
Here is a site that goes into a great deal of detail on the whole whelping process.
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html
Let me know if you still have questions or just want to discuss it more. I'll be up for a little while at least. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?