Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 12 yr old Chinese crested powderpuff dog has suffered

Customer Question

my 12 yr old Chinese crested powderpuff dog has suffered from constantly licking her genital and bottom, causing the skin to thicken and blacken. She is a nervous dog as we have a cat that is boss and has not been nice to her for her whole life! The vet said it is prob pschological, as diet etc made no diff. He has given me Maleseb a few times to use during bathtime. Recently say put it on her and take her for walk then rinse off after...well as I dont usually do it this way, I forgot to take it off and she obviously licked it. That night when dryreaching I panicked and rinsed. 2 days later she is coughing and dryreaching accasionally. She has always been a bit prone to respiratory stuff. Im a bit worried after reading an old note on your site??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Has the vet done any blood work on her?

What food does she eat?

What kind of treats does she get?

Does she chew at her feet at all?

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kylie Mulder,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Scully. How is everything going?
Lisa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lisa,Sorry, been flat out. Scully stopped coughing so she may have just had cold, and maybe coincidence re the Maleseb left on and her licking it. Yes, she does chew her feet too, actually it started with her feet!. She eats non grain bickies. Generally eats raw beef mince, or organic chicken/rice dog package food, accasionally some dogfood that has salmon. No the vet has not done any bloods-what would that be for? She has been on antihistamin's, antipsyche tabs( designed to make her a bit docile so to forget about licking,( but she still licked)
Thankyou. I hope there is no further charge for these additional answers to your questions. Thanks again, I sort your advice to get a different vet opinion :o)
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information....and no, there's no additional charge for me to ask questions.

From your description, I can't help but think that Scully might be dealing with some severe allergies.

As someone who lives with an allergy dog herself, I can completely understand how frustrating it can be when you're trying to figure out what is causing your dog to be so miserable. I think one of the worst things about allergy dogs is that it can take years and years before a exact cause is found.

With my pup, I had my vet do VARL testing (more info here: http://www.varlallergy.com/ ), which determined exactly what he was allergic to (turns out he's allergic to ragweed and a specific type of pollen), which made it easier to control his contact with the items he's allergic to. As a side note...many, many, many dogs are highly allergic to corn and corn products, so if any of the treats she's getting contains corn, it could explain the ongoing issue.

We also began using the medication Atopica (more info here: http://www.atopica.com/ ), which helped control his itching and made him a happier guy. Atopica is sort of the 'big gun', and once we got my dog's allergies under control, we were able to switch to Temaril P instead (which is less expensive and it only takes 1/4 tablet once a day to keep my dog's allergies in check). There's also a new injectable allergy medication called Apoquel that is showing some amazing results, so you could ask your vet about that as well.

I think is Scully were mine, I'd start by having the vet do some allergy testing. I really feel like that will explain the majority of her symptoms.

I hope this helps.