Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog keeps throwing up large amounts of clear fluid with

Customer Question

My dog keeps throwing up large amounts of clear fluid with white frothy bile. Her mom and dad both had these symptoms and died of kidney failure. What should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I thank you for requesting me. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

How long has she been doing this?

How is she acting otherwise?

Is she on any medications?

Does she have any health issues you're aware of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lacey gas never been a dog to throw up much. over the last few weeks I have noticed she us throwing up clear liquids maybe every couple of days. Drinking more water. No medications. No health issues except acl problems several months ago. She is mostly quite than usual. Still following me around the house. Just chased a rabbit. But after an walking lays down right away
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Yes...I'm still here. Just give me a second to type things out.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

So my concern is that since both her parents had kidney issues, and Lacey herself is a geriatric dog, I absolutely have to put kidney problems at the top of my list.

When you combine that vomiting with the increase in drinking, and the possibility of kidney issues creeps even higher on the list.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's absolutely the cause. The symptoms can also point to things like diabetes, or even other metabolic problems, and there's really no way to know for sure what is causing it without being able to see her and do some testing.

If this were me...since she otherwise sounds like she's stable, I'd give your vet a call first thing Monday morning when they open and have them take a peek at her, and run some blood work to check her kidney function. Of course, if she decompensates tonight or tomorrow, then the best idea will be to have her seen by an emergency vet in your area. If you're not sure where one is, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

HOpefully we'll find out that it's nothing serious...but with her family history, you need to have her vet take a peek.