Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I am not sure how this service works. I have a border collie

Customer Question

I am not sure how this service works. I have a border collie mix, 13 years old, still get around like a puppy most of the time. This evening, he came into the dinning room limping badly on his front right leg. the knee and paw seem to be fine, he is not yelping or whining in any way. Just very lethargic and limping a lot. The only thing I can think is that he was on this rather large sofa chair in the bedroom and when he jumped off he might have jammed his shoulder. recently moved to a house with Hrd wood floors and afraid he might have slipped. the shoulder blade upon pressing or moving around does not get a painful reaction from him it is however very very warm. Is there anything I can do for him tonight.
I did give him 25mg of tramadol which was a previous prescription when he hurt himself jumping over a small fence. That was a few hours ago. I also gave him a low dose baby aspirin.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
thanks
Scott
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How much does Taz weigh?
What dose (milligrams) of aspirin did you give?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
50 pounds81 MG baby aspirin
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Scott,
Now I do share your suspicions about a soft tissue/muscle strain with this sudden onset lameness. Still, I would note that for a 50lb (22.7kg) dog, your treatment doses have under the therapeutic range. So, if he is still lame, we'd need to adjust that for him at this point.
For Tramadol, a dog this size would have a minimum dose of ~45mg every 8-12 hours. So, if these were 25mg tablets, you can consider doubling that for him to tackle pain. Otherwise, we do use non steroidal anti-inflammatories to reduce tissue inflammation in cases like this. Again your dose isn't quite right for his size. The therapeutic dose for his weight is 227mg. For ease of dosing you could give 2-3/4ths tablets or just 3 every 12 hours. Of course, with Aspirin it must be given with or after food to avoid stomach upset. (Or you can also pre-treat with an antacid like Pepcid or Zantac).
Otherwise, we need to initiate strict rest. So, no stairs, jumping on furniture, and walks should be limited to lead walks in the garden to do his business and then back inside. As well, since we have swelling and heat in the shoulder, you can try to cool compressing the region at this stage (as the injury ages, we would then switch to warm compresses). Finally, just as a long term treatment that could also be of benefit here, you can consider also using Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils. This is a natural anti-inflammatory that is available over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad and one that may be of benefit for the longer term at his age.
Overall, his sudden onset of signs does raise concerns of muscle strain/sprain. So, we'd want to rest this, compress, and use an appropriate dose of treatment for his weight. If he settles over the next few days, we are happy and can gradually increase exercise. If this lingers, then we'd want a check to make sure there is nothing more underlying that needs to be addressed for Taz.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Taz. How is everything going?
nekovet