Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Ten year old fem mini schnauzer, blind, deaf and panting and

Customer Question

Ten year old fem mini schnauzer, blind, deaf and panting and licking paws constantly - how do I know when it's time to say goodbye
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
I feel I am in the unique position to help you with your question. I owned a white german shepherd who was blind and deaf. She was 12 years old and amazingly enough despite not being able to see or hear, she managed to run around the yard, get around the house fairly well. She still had a good quality of life despite her handicaps. However, when her sense of smell went, she became terrified and her quality of life was not only non existent but unbearable for her. I wished I had let her go just a little before that happened so she wouldn't have to have experienced that terror.
Your dog has additional issue of bad teeth, bladder stones and other health issues which may be causing her pain which is leading to the panting. Panting can be due to stress as well, so it is difficult to know if pain or stress or even another medical condition is to blame.
We usually advise people to think of their dogs quality of life. If they are in pain and even their owners touch does not bring them comfort, then it is likely the right time to help them pass from this life. If they have nothing they enjoy doing anymore, there really isn't a quality of life either. Most experts ask if the dog has one or two things they enjoy. If not, then again, it is probably the right time.
I do feel that I waited too long for my girl but once I realized what had occurred, we had her euthanized while we held her so she wasn't so terrified.
I hope I have helped you make an informed decision. I know it is always an emotional one when it comes to letting our beloved pets pass peacefully but often it is the best gift you can give them even though it hurts.