Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog just vomited dark chocolate syrup type vomit and he

Customer Question

Hi my dog just vomited dark brown chocolate syrup type vomit and he does not and has not eaten for a day.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Kye. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
I see he is not eating, is he taking water at least? Or does he vomit after drinking water?
I have two concerns. One is that if he can't hold food and water down, he will become dehydrated and that will make his illness even worse. Could he have eaten anything he shouldn't: swallowed a toy, gotten into trash?
My other concern is that dark brown color to his vomit. That could indicate there is blood in his vomit, and that he may be bleeding in his stomach or intestines.
If you check his gums, are they pink in color, or do they look pale? If his gums look pale, I am even more worried.
It sounds to me like he needs medical attention as soon as possible. Until you can get him to your vet, try to get him to take small amounts of water or broth or Pedialyte, just a little at a time until you see if he keeps it down; don't let him drink a lot all at once.
If he holds water down, you could try giving him some Pepcid AC, famotidine, at 5 mg per 15 to 20 pounds of body weight, for vomiting.
If his gums look pale or this dark colored vomit continues, I would have him checked out by his veterinarian soon.
Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tracy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kye. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Kye today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rebecca, Kye is doing better I took him into his vet and determined he had salmon poisoning. He is on medication for two weeks. He already looks better. Thank you for helping meTracy
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Glad to hear he is doing better; thank you for the update.
Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else. KIndly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!) and you can still get back to me with updates and questions even after rating.
Hope he continues to improve. Rebecca