Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs nails are growing sideways and she is reluctant to

Customer Question

My dogs nails are growing sideways and she is reluctant to have them cut
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the main one seems like its a dead nail
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, we'd not expect a dead nail to grow (they usually fall off) so that is not likely an issue in her case. Now if her nails are growing side ways that does tell us that she will not wear these down no matter how much we exercise her on pavement or rough surfaces.
Therefore, even though she doesn't like it, it is in her best interest to have them clipped regularly (since some nails will grow into their pads and cause severe pain and infection). If she isn't keen, you can have your local vet or groomer do this for her. As they can do this quickly, it will reduce the trauma and stress of the situation. Otherwise, you can try desensitizing her to nail clipping using positive rewards (ie treats, praise, etc) while doing a nail at a time. That way she learns that it is not such a bad experience. Or if she will let you handle the paws but is just stressed by the clipping, then you could choose to use a nail file to wear down the edges of the nails and keep them at an appropriate length for her (though it is best to have the clipped short before doing this so that its easier to keep up on with the file).
Overall, despite her reluctance, we have to be aware that keeping these nails an appropriate length for her is in her best interest. Therefore, we'd want to use one of the above approaches for her to keep her comfortable with as little stress as possible.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )