Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is dry heaving. He will hack up saliva with a foam on

Customer Question

My dog is dry heaving. He will hack up saliva with a white foam on the top layer. No cough.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is also gagging and reswallowing what he hacks up. Still able to eat and drink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has he been heaving?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Has he had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been about 16 hrs. His gums are pink and moist. Doesn't seem to have any belly discomfort. He does get rawhides. H
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think he has had any diarrhea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He typically doesn't eat things he's not supposed to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been trying to push water and he is drinking some
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
When did he last have a raw hide?
Does he tend to eat it in big pieces?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had a dream bone about an hour ago. I'm not sure about the piece size.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
Now based on his signs, we have 2 concerns. This dry heaving could be secondary to throat irritation or nausea. These could both be caused by raw hide ingestion or could be hints of a brewing infection.
Now in regards ***** ***** care, there are a few treatments we can try. To soothe the throat and try to reduce this heaving, you can try him with over the counter glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Typically we will give a milliliter (~1/4 teaspoon) as needed. This will aid to soothe his throat and settle any throat related irritation.
Otherwise, to address and rule out nausea, we can treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
As well, to address both issues, you could also try Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide; dosed at 1 tsp every 8 hours) as it is an antacid but also a liquid that can coat the throat as it is taken.
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once that has had time to absorb, you can consider starting him on a soft and easily digestible diet. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). These are all soft so they won't cause the throat further irritation and since they are easy to digest, they should be well tolerated in the stomach too. And it goes without saying that we want to skip any more bones or chews or anything hard until we are well settled with this.
Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns. So, we'd want to use the above to address those for him. If he does potentially have a piece of raw hide in his stomach, do be aware that they can take 3-5 days to digest. So, if that is what is our trigger, we may struggle to get this to settle at home. So, we'd want to also be monitoring closely for improvement as well as signs of blockages (ie actual vomiting, belly pain, paling gums, straining to pass feces, black stool). If we see those or he isn't settled in the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want to consider a check with his vet to make sure that is not an issue and also to rule out any infectious agents being present.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The links do not work.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
How odd! It should if you just copy/paste the link into your web browser. If it isn't being stubborn, let me know which one you would want to use and I can go over the dose with you.
Dr. B.