Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have 3 mini smooth dachshunds with suspected kennel cough.

Customer Question

Good morning. I have 3 mini smooth dachshunds with suspected kennel cough. One is due to have her litter next week, age 3. The next has just been mated once, with one tie, due to mate again today. And the 3rd is a 6 month old puppy. How they got it: my 23 yr old daughter has been on a camping trip with her 2, same breed, came back with it and spent 24 hrs here ay home with my 3. Worried for the existing girls, and the pups to arrive.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
You are going to have your hands full aren't you. It is going to be difficult to stop the litter born next week from catching kennel cough. In adults, kennel cough generally last about 3 weeks and resolves on its own unless a secondary bacterial infection develops. In many cases, your vet will be proactive and prescribe antibiotics for puppies that contract kennel cough to prevent a secondary infection. So you might want to discuss this with your vet if you notice even a hint of cough in the pups once they are born.
I would keep that dog and her pups away from the other two dogs entirely. This may help limit the newborn pups exposure. In addition, if the pups do develop kennel cough and the other two dogs have had their kennel cough resolved, you may have a chance to keep the second breeding females pups from contracting it. You do need to do a through cleaning and air out the rooms as well. It is normally spread by one dog breathing in air where an infected dog coughed.
Incubation period is not totally known but believed to be 3 days up to 3 weeks and some dogs can have kennel cough but not show symptoms.
I think your first litter may contract it, but you have a good chance of keeping the subsequent litter kennel cough free if you separate them now.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.