Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog came in from s evening walk and began yelping minutes

Customer Question

My dog came in from his evening walk and began yelping for several minutes and he is now holding up his back leg and licking his ankle area. He yelps when my husband and I gently put pressure near his foot
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.
I am not sure if you still need help with this or not since it came in during the early morning hours.
I would check the bottom of the foot for thorns or stings as well as check around the ankle for the same.
It's possible that the dog was licking because something feels like it is stuck in there. You can also soak the foot in warm water and Epsom salt which should loosen any foreign object.
Watch the area where the dog is licking for any swelling as well.
If he is still holding his foot up this morning then something more may be going on and you should see your vet. I am not sure what the evening walk consists of or where you walk him, but if it was a bee sting or just a soft tissue injury by today he would likely be putting his foot on the ground but limping.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?
Sally G.