Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

Wasp sting on yorkie pad

Customer Question

wasp sting on yorkie pad
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.

Hello:

Thank you for requesting me. I'm so sorry your baby got stung by a wasp. Ouch for sure! First, be 100% sure the stinger is out. You can use tweezers if necessary but try to grasp the stinger as close to the pad as possible to prevent any more toxin from being released into his foot. Once the stinger is out, you can clean the area with a hydrogen peroxide or just plain soap and water. You are welcome to apply a towel wrapped ice pack on his foot if he will allow it.

To aid with the reaction of the poison, you can safely give your baby PLAIN benadryl 1-2mgs per pound of body weight every 8 hours, if necessary. You can also apply neosporin to the pad, the one without the pain reliever.

If he has issues with breathing, not wanting to eat or the swelling is very hot and inflamed, please be sure to contact your veterinarian asap.

Thanks and hope all turns out well for your boy!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the suggestions were good, but too late, I already got advice over the phone.
Expert:  Gina replied 1 year ago.

Hello again:

I'm glad to hear that you got some helpful advice and I'm sorry for the wait, it took me a bit to type out. :) I'll send this in to have your question closed. Again, good luck with your boy :)