Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My cockapoo licks everything.

Customer Question

My cockapoo licks everything.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
A dog that licks everything could be an indication that she is experiencing nausea or has a problem with anemia, liver issue or even experiencing seizures.
Nausea can be caused by a dietary indiscretion, liver disease, a touch of pancreatitis or even inflammatory bowel disease. If this is a new behavior, I would try some pepcid. Read about dosages and usage information here:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx
A dental issue can cause a dog to lick excessively as well though you usually see drooling with dental issues. Partial seizure activity can manifest as licking. However, in some cases, licking is just an attention getting behavior or a way of dealing with anxiety. Some dog also have obsessive compulsive disorder.
Since she is 8 years old, she may be starting with dental issues so check her teeth, gums and tongue for redness, broken teeth and discoloration. If you find something or it continues to be an ongoing issue, , you will want to have your dog seen and evaluated by the vet. Most likely bloodwork will need to be done.
If you feel it may be compulsive behavior, you might try a DAP collar. It uses pheromones to sooth a dog and helps with anxieties so it may help with a compulsive disorder. Training though can help break the behavior much like you telling her NO, but instead of NO, do another command so that she starts to substitute the other command for her licking.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our cockapoo is 8 months old, not 8 years. Sorry for the misunderstanding. We are so worried about her licking. She's on meds for vomiting now & has been for 6 months. We love her so much & want the best for her. Maybe the collar?
JaCustomer,
If she is only 8 months old, then definitely try the dap collar. It may help. If she has been on meds for vomiting for that long, then the logical cause for the licking is nausea. So the key to stopping the licking would be to solve why she has nausea.
Nausea is often the result of excess bile in the stomach. You can give your dog some pepcid at .25 -.5 mg per pound every 12-14 hours.. Read about dosages and usage information here:
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid
You might also add some good bacteria into her diet in the form of a probiotic which can be purchased through a pet store, online or your vet. Fortiflora is a popular choice.