Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate maybe 6 of my azostandard pills (97mg), she threw

Customer Question

my dog ate maybe 6 of my azostandard pills (97mg), she threw up after but I don't know how much she got up. I was not at home, its been possibly 4-6 hours. she is 8mth old and around 25lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
You appear offline, so I do want to leave some information for your return. AZO (Phenazopyridine) is quite a dangerous drug for dogs and has been associated with liver and kidney damage. It can also cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), lethargy, panting, and wobbliness.
Now hopefully she vomited of this dose up, but there is a risk that she actually vomited in response to the drug's effect on her system post-absorption. So, we do need to tread with care and still consider this a 582mg dose.
Now we are past a point where we can induce vomiting, but if it has been <8 hours, you can consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much she absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Overall, this is not a drug safe for dogs and therefore since she is quite small and this was an 11 mg/kg dose for her, we need to err on the side of caution. Therefore, do take the above step to limit her risk and/or see her vet. Her vet can use IV fluids, gastroprotectants, and monitor her liver and kidney values. So, if she is showing any more signs or you cannot obtain activated charcoal, then we'd want to seek their aid to help address this and reduce any chance of harm.
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet