Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I cannot wait a day answer. This could be an emergency

Customer Question

I cannot wait a day for my answer. This could be an emergency
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available (hence they delay). Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much has he had?
How much does he weigh?
How long ago did Rico eat this? (> 2 hours, >8 hours, etc)?
How is he just now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe about 5 to 10 I con't tell exactly He is 12 pounds and he at it sometime between 1 am and 10 am. He has cusings desease and takes meds for that and he is diabetic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's Cushings desease
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
What strength/milligrams were they, since that plays a role in how severe a toxicity this may or may not be?
Can you confirm that this was a possible ingestion over 4-12 hours ago?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was somewhere between the times I said. I ws sleeping. He is diabetic and is always looking for food. They are 50 mg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is acting fine right now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
Now if he has had 5-10 of Proin 50mg at this strength, then that is a potential maximum dose of 92 mg/kg dose. At this level, there is some risk here. It is not a fatal dose but at this level we can see dogs develop signs of restlessness, agitation, weakness, pale gums, difficulty in urinating, and seizures. As well, and most worryingly, this is a dose that could cause dangerous elevations in his blood pressure, heart rate, and also cause irregular heartbeats for him.
Now with the amount of time that has passed, we are beyond a point where inducing vomiting would be of benefit. Therefore, in this case, we can still block some absorption by using activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Otherwise, considering his health, the effects that this dose can have on his heart and knowing that this is actually 5x the dose where we see those signs start, I have to say that it is a situation where we'd be safest to have Rico to his vet now. They can monitor his blood pressure and heart rates. If they are overly elevated, then they can administer safe sedation agents to calm him and reduce this for him. As well, they get put him on IV fluids to flush the drug from his system faster.
Overall, this is a very high dose for a dog this size. So, while it is not a fatal dose, it is one that could cause his heart harm. Therefore, it'd be best to have him seen or at least get some activated charcoal into him to try to reduce the level of toxicity he has exposed himself to.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care & all the best for Rico,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I just saw your second message. I am glad that he is well at the moment. My concern with that though is whether he has had this in his system long enough to get past peak effect. For example, if we were 12 hours on, I'd be less worried for him. But if we are only 4 hours, there is still a lot of time to see signs start to creep up on him. So, we need to tread with care with Rico. Especially if he is a Cushinoid diabetic as well.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What will be the effect on his urinating? Will is stop for sometime ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
The urinary issues tend to be the least of our worries with this. It is just urinary retention and doesn't tend to last very long. So, we could find a dog that strain to urinate, but with Rico's other issues, we'd expect him to dribble for the short term if it affected that at all.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rico. How is everything going?
nekovet