How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask petdrz. Your Own Question
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7267
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550
Type Your Dog Question Here...
petdrz. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has an issue on s paw pad. it has been ongoing month.

Customer Question

Hi my dog has an issue on his paw pad.
it has been ongoing for 1 month. for the first 2 weeks i let him play in the pool, lake and wasn't religious with the cone. the third week i still let him in the pool but was diligent with the cone and the 4th week no more pool. cone on at all times. he has been on antibodics and steroids for a month along with soaking nighly in chlorahexidine. the paw was never wrapped. it hasn't improved. our old vet - (we switched tuesday) wants a biopsy since it hasnt' really improved. we went to a new vet and now are trying clavamox and muprocin ointment. keeping it wrapped at all times and if not significant improvement we will biopsy in 2 weeks. do you think that is appropriate?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Thank- you for requesting me. I have bee a Vet tech for 30+ years.

Can you tell me what is exactly happening with the paw pad and post a picture so I can see the problem.

I will be going out shortly to a Dr's appoyment but when I get back, I will view and try to assist you.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I had noticed something similiar to a corn on his left paw pad 2 days before we left for vacation. The night before we left I checked it when I went to soak it in chlorahexmide and noticed what appeared to be similiar to an open blister on his back right paw pad. I had already called our vet and they couldn't get him until the day after we went on vacation so we took him to a vet in the Ozarks where we were vacationing which my other pets have been to before. The area where the "blister" was is attached to the paw pad and it was very inflammed. He wasn't acting like it bothered him, I'm not sure if he stepped on something, bit it open and irritated it or it's something horrible like cancer. Sounds crazy but I guess squamous cells can't be ruled out since they aspiration was unsuccessful. Here is a picture from Tuesday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if this picture doesn't work please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish I had taken a picture to begin with but it didn't cross my mind. With him being a shih tzu he chews on his paws all the time. He has lots of allergies and I think he gets bored too. I know I made the mistake of not making him wear the cone dilligently or wrapping it for walks from the get go. I am really just worried it's cancer and I'm going to wait too long to do something
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am just getting ready to leave and will be back with you as soon as I get back Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any updates or is someone else able to assist?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hello,

I am going to refer this to another Expert, since it seems more complex. where hey may be better able to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the 6 hour delay prior to referring me elsewhere. I appreciate it.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
Of course it is difficult to visualize completely in a photo and without an exam of the rest of his skin and a review of his past dermatologic history, one can only speculate, but the lesion looks rather proliferative. This would be more consistent with a tumor of some sort,but long standing infections, especially if they are allowed to lick at it can form granulation tissue, which can also look proliferative. This is a condition referred to as a lick granuloma.
I am glad that he is of of the steriod since if there is a bacterial component present, it may slow healing. Clavamox is not the best choice for infections involving the skin, so it may be worth getting a bacterial culture which can be difficult if there is not a draining lesion. Personally, I would proceed now with a skin biopsy of the affected tissue and remove an additional piece of tissue for a macerated tissue culture for bacteria (they take a small piece of tissue and cut it up and culture it for bacteria). This would be the best way to find out if bacteria are involved and if there are cancer cells involved.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your opinion!!! Don't mind the wait but the vet tech told me she would get back to me after I had posted my question because she had a doctor appointment. Just wish it had been passed on immediatly and not after a 6 hour wait with me following up. :)I wouldn't hesitate doing the biopsy and WHATEVER else is needed if it wasn't in such a bad spot to begin with. Also had made him keep his cone on so he couldn't lick, bite and gnaw on it. Plus he walked on gravel, hot asphalt, lake and pool water. I am completely not making any excuses for holding back we have already had an unnecessary surgery on him and I just hate to do it again. Do you think if we wait until Monday to see if there is any improvement we will lose any time in the event we have sarcoma and need to amputate his leg? Thanks again Dr. Appreciate the feedback.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to make you wait again, but I was tied up with patients at the clinic all day.

I don't think waiting until Monday will be detrimental, but if not improving, I would be worried about waiting weeks.

Let me know how it looks on Monday.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response!
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
I am replying back just so that I can exit the question for now. There is no need to respond now as when you do, it calls me back to this post and prevents me from answering others until I respond to you. Please keep me posted as to how things progress.