Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My six year old Yorkshire Terrier was recently treated with

Customer Question

My six year old Yorkshire Terrier was recently treated with a flea treatment.
He suffered a bad reaction after this treatment. The reaction caused him have lascargic, stop eating, barking and not himself.
He was seen by a vet and treated with muscle relaxers and pain pill.
He started to return to himself a few days later. However, he still suffering with bouts of screams. His right leg seem to get stiff and he'll have a limp for a few minutes.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. His treatment with a muscle relaxer and pain pill would seem to be in response to a diagnosis of musculoskeletal pain such as is seen in miniature dogs suffering from intervertebral disk disease ("a slipped disk") rather than a reaction to flea treatment. His vocalizing as you've mentioned and front (?) right leg stiffness/lameness would support the diagnosis of a cervical (neck) disk. We call what you're seeing in his leg a dorsal root signature sign which indicates spinal cord compression. While a muscle relaxer and pain pill are important, adding a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam to Duece's therapy should be considered.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Tanya,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Duece. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Duece has made a 80% improvement. We followed your advice and treated him with the ibrupren.
He however at times has episodes of screaming. This results when he jumps up quickly. He then starts to favor is right upper leg. The leg becomes lip and it takes awhile for him to straighten his leg.
Hopefully not ibuprofen because it's toxic to dogs. Carprofen or meloxicam, instead? Yes, you're still describing a dorsal root signature sign associated with a slipped disk in his neck. These can take many weeks to quiet down and sometimes we have to surgically remove the prolapsed disk before our patient can recover. Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.