Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is bleeding from nd end, He keeps licking there. He

Customer Question

my dog is bleeding from hind end, He keeps licking there. He has not felt well since yesterday morning. Some dirrreah, been eating grass. It is mostly bright red and it does not look like its in the stool but a little on top. He has been like sitting down .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is he passing blood even when not passing stool?
How much is he passing? A spoonful, more, or less?
Are his gums pink or pale/white?
When was he last wormed?
Does he seem painful in his back end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. yes, 2. a spoonful or less, he just licks ever so often. 3.pink. 4. if your talking about worm test this year. yes he acts like he might be painful at times.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I have to say that I am concerned to hear that Brady is passing blood without feces and is painful. This is because we can see this type of presentation associated with bleeding masses (polyps or tumors) within the colon. That said, more commonly, we will see them as a sign of anal gland impaction, infection, or rupture. And I would note that since we are seeing blood at times other then when passing stool, colitis would be less likely here.
Therefore, in this case, I do think it is worth having him checked at this point. His vet can check his glands to see if they are the root of his signs. At the same time, they can perform a rectal to make sure there is nothing else bleeding in the colon. If his glands are to blame as it sounds, then they can express the material impacting them and start him on a course of dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc). As well, if they did express pus when doing so, then antibiotics would also be indicated.
Finally, if he is prone to anal gland issues, I would note that it can help to bulk up his fiber intake. To do so, we often add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or even all bran to their food. So, that is a longer term consideration for him.
Overall, at his age, we do need to tread with care when we see blood from the rectum. That said, as he is uncomfortable with this, we'd be most suspicious that his anal glands are the source of his signs and what we need to focus on and address for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )