Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Seems like once a year my choc lab gets into something. Last

Customer Question

Seems like once a year my choc lab gets into something. Last year she started swelling up at the armpit and it went down into her leg- - - - with antibotics it went away. This year - it started in her left side of her face and jaw and swelled into her throat- no abcess tooth - - but she is tender to touch on the jaw side- all the blood work came back negative for diseases... What the heck can this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, if this swelling has been needle aspirated and the aspirate examined microscopically for its cellularity - pus, neoplasia, e.g? Has it been surgically explored? Is the plan to localize the swelling and then explore it? Do you have foxtails* where you live? Is Kona febrile?
*
I believe that the low T4 is due to non-thyroid illness - the swelling is likely to be due to infection or envenomation by flying insect, spider, snake, or scorpion predicated upon where you live.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not tell me anything I already didn't know. A general category. Yes the thyroid is not connected. There is no pus in the swelling. So looks like you have no answer as well. Aloha