petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Is this free advice? My small dog has thick grey black scabs

Customer Question

Is this free advice? My small dog has thick grey black scabs & when I put Vicks on them the scabs will go away & the skin then looks pink for a little bit & then goes away, he has a large area on underside & close to his pee pee. He acts like they hurt.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
What it sounds like Chipmunk may be experiencing is what is called a pyoderma or a skin infection. These can cause scabs as you describe as well as itch. They are often secondary to underlying allergies in dogs which also can make the skin itch or look irritated. Dogs can be allergic to various things including environmental allergens, food ingredients and fleas. In young dogs especially, we also have to be concerned with the possibility of mange mites that live in the hair follicles being an underlying factor.
What she needs is an exam by your veterinarian so that these things can be ruled out and the proper medicine may be prescribed. If there is an infection, she will need at least 3 weeks of an oral antibiotic. Many of these dogs will also need a short course of steroid to break the itch cycle in some cases. In cases where the sores are widespread as you describe, topical treatments are not usually effective and oral antibiotics are needed.
In the meantime, there are a few things that may help and certainly won't hurt. An antiseptic shampoo from the pet store can decrease the bacteria and yeast if they are present. I like the product called Hexedene® because it contains chlorhexidine which is effective on bacteria and yeast. There is also a "leave-on" product called Resi-chlor® with similar ingredients that can be used on the lesions themselves and in some cases, may be all that is needed.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z