Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 9 1/2 year old boxer has not been eating. I took m to the

Customer Question

Hi my 9 1/2 year old boxer has not been eating. I took him to the vet and they gave him an antibiotic shot and oral antibiotics. He now has a distended stomach, ate only half his dinner and is lethargic He does not seem to be in pain
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Does his belly feel very firm or taut/fluidy like a water balloon?
What color are his gums?
Does his breathing look normal?
Did his vet do any tests (ie bloods, xrays, etc)>?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I went in this site it gave me the initial impression that I would get an answer right away. Only when I paid was I told it might be a full day. I took him into the ER. He had a tumor that ruptured his spleen. They went in to try to remove it but the cancer had metastasized to his liver. We made the decision to let him go. He was s wonderful dog and we will miss him very much