Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My thirteen year old dog has a swollen, bloodshot eye and is

Customer Question

my thirteen year old dog has a swollen, bloodshot eye and is lethargic. He eats but lays down when not eating.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. The "red" eye at your dog's age can indicate many different ophthalmic disorders - corneal (the clear window of the eye) damage, uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments), glaucoma (increased ocular pressure) which causes swelling of the eye, and cancer in a 13 year old's eye. This list isn't meant to be exhaustive but, instead, alert you to the fact that there are too many possibilities to list in this venue. Because eyes can "go south" in a hurry, it's important that his vet take a look at that eye at your earliest convenience. For instance, glaucoma can blind an eye within hours of your seeing swelling and redness.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?