Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a 12 year old red hair dachshund, she is scratching

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old red long hair dachshund, she is scratching none stop, she has done Benadryl twice a day, the vet has given her steroid shot, she gets baths every 4 weeks, and I have also tried the Dinovite over her food, I have switched her food to Lamb and she is still scratching I have also done the allergy test and nothing comes up other than peanuts that she can't have! Please help this is very frustrating!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. The expert you were looking for is no longer in the dog category . It sounds like your pup may have airborne allergies which seem to be particularly bad this year and I suspect that is why the dog is taking Bendryl and is on steroids.

Depending on when the dog got the steroid shot , you may want to talk you your vet about Apoquel. This seems to block the need to scratch and it can work within two days, though you do need to give it twice a day for longer during the season that affects the dog.

I was in the same spot you are now and I requested this for my dog. No more benadryl needed and she has been itch free for four weeks now.

Here is more on this drug. https://www.zoetisus.com/bmst-minisite-apoquel/index.aspx

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Apoquel has been compared to another popular drug call atopica and the newer apoquel has been shown to be a better fit for most dogs. But do discuss both with your Vet.