Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a 4 month old GSD 2 weeks now and up until yesterday

Customer Question

i have a 4 month old GSD for almost 2 weeks now and up until yesterday was amazing...the lawn was sprayed for insects and a few minutes after they left Delilah began to squat in the house so i scooped her up and brought her outside and walked her in the street to a place to potty..NOT ON THE TREATED LAWN...since then she hasnt stop pacing acting paranoid not eating not responding to her name...very skiddish looking nd listining from the corner of the kitchen or corner of the living room
shes like a different dog and its breaking my heart
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

How long ago did this happen?

Do you know what the lawn was treated with?

How are you handling the change in behavior (ie: are you comforting her, ect)?

Any vomiting/diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you receive my answers to your questions?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. The answers didn't come through...it's been a couple days, how is your dog feeling now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened on Monday and supposedly the chemicals are safe for pets and people 30 min after application and dry but she only got a smell of it while In my arms
Yes I've been comforting her and she seems to be coming around but still a little paranoid and skiddish
I'm concerned this might be a permanent problem...it's just so bizarre because of how opposite she was before what ever happened happened
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since she hasn't really improved since you initially wrote in, I think the best thing to do is to have your vet take a peek at her and run some blood work.

Everything that comes into the body gets filtered out through the kidneys. If the chemical they used was so potent that it's still causing her a problem, having the vet check her kidney values will tell you exactly if those chemicals are causing the problem or if it's just a coincidence.

I strongly suspect you're going to find that she's got slightly elevated levels...this will have an effect on how her kidneys work, and as such, she may not be able to filter the chemicals out as well as normal. If they find that, they'll get her on some IV fluids to help flush out her system and get her feeling better.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if that's the case what about the nervousness and paranoia
Also appetite is ok no vomiting or diarrhea
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

The nervousness/paranoia can be a sign of kidney problems. When they aren't able to filter the body the way they're supposed to, toxins can build up in the body and cause a change in behavior.

Luckily she's really young, so if her kidneys are having a problem, they'll heal with treatment. Kidneys are pretty resiliant, so even if they're struggling right now, it doesn't mean the can't come back.