Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just bred my Rottweiler 9 days ago via artificial

Customer Question

I just bred my Rottweiler 9 days ago via artificial insemination. She is 3 years old and this is the first time she has been bred.
3 days ago she began having a vaginal discharge that is yellowish. I have been keeping her "area"!clean and free of discharge.
I have read that some discharge like this is normal after breeding, but the more I research the more answers I seem to come up with. Today when I let her out of her kennel to relieve herself she kind of whimpered when moving. She also hasn't been eating regularly. I have changed her dog food to the puppy food I plan on feeding her but this resulted in diarrhea.
I am concerned that she either got an infection from the AI or, if possible, from her diarrhea. Or is it something else?
What do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
I share your concern here.
To see yellow discharge along with her feeling unwell, I would be wary of a bacterial metritis secondary to the AI (and to a lesser extent the bacteria causing her diarrhea).
In this case, we can use supportive care like a light diet (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg) and Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) for her loose stool. But since we have this discharge, it is ideal to have this checked by her vet at this stage. They can assess whether it is pus type discharge from a uterine infection. And if this is confirmed, then we'd want to be proactive and treating with antibiotics before the infection can progress or compromise her uterus.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )