Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Our boxer has this. Megawsophagus. We bought the chair and

Customer Question

Our boxer has this. Megawsophagus. We bought the chair and feed her upright. Problem is she through up every time drinking even a little bit of water. It's getting serious. The Bailey chair helps with food. Not water. Foamy tummy it seems water just age rates it..have been giving her antacids.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is holding down the food but when we give licks water out of a water bottle but it's like it just goes straight to her lungs and she coughs up foams and that makes her throws up pretty quickly
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
If she is doing well with the food, then try giving her fluids in a solid state like ice chips of cubes. Dogs need about a cup of water for every 8 pounds of body weight In hot weather a little more and if they have kidney issues, they may need a lot more. It doesn't have to be straight water. It can be mixed in with food by soaking the food in water until the food puffs up as long as your dog can do well with the food in that consistency.
Keeping her front elevated for the same 15 minutes after drinking should help as well. You might mix ice chips in with her food so she is eating both at the same time.
I'm not sure how much you know about the condition, so to be on the safe side, let me give you more information. Megaesophagus is when food fails to move all the way down into the stomach and is frequently regurgitated. You can read about this here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/megaesophagus-in-dogs/page1.aspx
This site give a good demonstration of what happens to a dog with this condition.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_megaesophagus.html
The bailey chair is a great start and you should keep her front elevated for for 10-15 minutes after eating as well as when she is eating. That is one thing that can help. You should also experiment with different consistencies of food. Some do better with almost a liquid consistency and others a semi liquid or softened food. Feeding a high calorie diet in small portions throughout the day is also recommended. Perhaps supplement with Nutrical would help as well.
There are a few different drugs that may be effective. You don't mention which antacid your are giving but here are two meds thatre quite effective. One is Metoclopramide which you can read about here:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/metoclopramide-hcl-reglan/page1.aspx
Another drug is Cisapride, you may want to ask your vet whether these drugs would help in your dog's particular case.
Since the food portion doesn't seem to be as much of a problem anymore, try ice chips or cubes. Most dogs love eating ice anyway, so this may be all you need to do.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.