Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Brought dog to the vet today and was told he may have an

Customer Question

hello, Brought dog to the vet today and was told he may have an issue with his Mitral Valve. Doctor gave him Lasix and we are waiting for results of X-ray and next EKG. What are some of the things i should look for and be proactive about ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Now further treatment options will depend on what has been specifically found to be amiss with his valve on the scan and his general examination. If the heart is struggling to pump blood, there are additional medications that can help with that. As well, if he has secondary high blood pressure that will need to be managed too.
Otherwise, if he only requires the Lasix at this stage, then I would note that further to this you can consider support with anti-oxidants. Common ones that have been shown to benefit the heart muscle cells include Vitamin E, omega 3 essential fatty acids (found in fish oil), and coenzyme Q10. Therefore, it'd be ideal to use a dog vitamin supplement with these in it.
Finally, in regards ***** ***** to monitor for, we just need to ensure he remains stable. So, we'd need to monitor for any decline in exercise tolerance, sitting down for breaks on walks, weakness, increased breathing rates (>30 breaths per minute) at rest, neck extension when breathing, paling of the gums, distension of the belly with any fluid, or fainting. If we saw any of these, then we'd want him to be seen urgently as they are red flags of possible heart disease progression.
Please take care,
Dr. B.