Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my dog might have eaten a corn cob. I am not

Customer Question

I think my dog might have eaten a corn cob . I am not positive because i was not there and my grandma said he she saw him chewing on it. This was Saturday around noon..
would he already have obstruction symptoms?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How is he just now?
Eating and drinking normally?
Any vomiting, straining to pass feces, or constipation?
Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
If he did eat this, do you think he's have chewed it to pieces or eaten it whole?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating and drinking normally and seems to have normal bowel movements. He doesn't seem to be as hyper as usual though. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort when I press on his belly, and he isn't vomiting.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now usually if we are going to see problems with corn cobs, it would be shortly after they were eaten. Still, it is possible to see delayed signs post ingestion or even mild signs if they chewed the cob to bits (so its easier to pass but could be abrasive to the gut).
Therefore, in PJ's situation, I would advise taking a monitoring and supportive care approach for the next day or two. Specifically, I would suggest putting him onto a light diet like cooked rice with boiled chicken, cottage cheese, white fish or scrambled egg. Whichever you choose you can add a spoonful of pumpkin or all-bran as a fiber source to encourage anything that may be in the GI to move through and pass. If you did see him straining or do really suspect he has had this, you can also consider adding cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) to these meals to help the squeaker slip through.
While encouraging this possible cob to pass, do plan to keep an eye on him for any signs of trouble. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, anorexia, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, restlessness, or black feces. If you see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.
Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Therefore, since he has no signs at this stage but seems a bit off, you can choose to monitor him while using the above supportive care to help him to pass the cob if he did eat it. If we can do this for at least the next 24 hours (since it has been a while already) and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that he has is innocent or has passed this without issue.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tracy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pj. How is everything going?
nekovet