Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My shizpoo is 4 months and will go outside to potty most of

Customer Question

My shizpoo is 4 months and will go outside to potty most of the time, but will pee or poop when I am not right there with him. I have to keep him on a leash in the house at all times because I do not trust him. I have hung a bell on the door for him to ring if he needs to go out side. I take his paw and hit the bell before we go out. I have a very small wire pen I place him in outside to do his potty and he will go. But I can never trust him in the house to be alone for 5 minutes if I have to go to the bathroom. I take him with me everywhere. Should I just put him in his crate and let him cry when I am home? Also he became aggressive (more than puppy bite) when I had to stop him from humping. I told my vet and he said to have him fixed because he was being extreme alfa. I did have him fixed at 4 months of age. What am I doing wrong? I don't want a neurotic dog that has to be in my presence at all times. He cries now when my husband has him and I leave the room.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
You state he is 4 months old. Is that correct?
If so, exactly how long ago did you neuter him?
Have you done any obedience training with him?
How long have you had him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 18 weeks old. He was neutered at 4 months. Almost 10 days ago. I am starting obedience training at the end of the month. He will be 5 months old. I have had him since he was 10 weeks old. I do not work outside the home so I am with him most of the time. and when I am gone he is in his cage. And sleeps in his cage at night with no accidents for 8 hours.
JaCustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. It sounds like he may have a few issues. First he is a dominant dog. Neutering will take about 30 days to see behavior improvement as it can take up to a month for the hormones to leave his body. It may help with marking and dominance as well.
The obedience training is the next step, but you do NOT have to wait for class. Start at home. The younger he is the faster he will learn. Teach him the basics now and by the time you are in class he'll be learning to listen with distractions.
The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html
Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html
That will help him realize that you are the boss in addition to teaching him obedience commands. The obedience commands will come in handy to order him to lay down and stay. If he is in a down position, then he isn't defecating or urinating.
It is not unusual for a puppy to not be fully house trained until they are 6 months of age. If you scold him when he goes inside he will learn to hide where he goes or wait for you to leave which he is doing.
The fasted house training method is crate training. He may object but once he learns, you won't have to have him crated as much. Here are instructions for you.
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
Now your cleaner needs to be an enzymatic cleaner and it needs to soak down as frar as the urine or fecal matter went, otherwise the dog can still smell it and it actually draws the pup back to the spot. So a thorough cleaning is necessary as well.
Go outside with him and have tasty hot dog slivers handy. When he goes outside, give a tasty treat as soon as he starts going when he is outside. It won't take him long to realize he gets calm praise and tasty treats when he eliminates outside and nothing when he does it inside.
You'll have to let him cry in the crate. If it bothers anyone, buy some ear plugs or headphones for the tv so they don't respond to the complaining by him. If you don't ignore, it gives them attention which they want. When becomes calm, you can take him out and leash him to you. This will help if he has a touch of separation anxiety.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.