Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

I have a 9 week old pug puppy and I noticed her stool had

Customer Question

I have a 9 week old pug puppy and I noticed her stool had mucous in it. It's clear colored/mixed in with her poop. She has had her first shot and I'm just a little worried on what it could be. She's acting normal and shows no symptoms other than the mucous . I feed her 3 times a day with about 1-3 table spoons of pumpkin in her food.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Poppy that has just been sent through to me. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. It definitely sounds like there is quite a bit of mucous on Poppy's stool. Mucus can occur for a number of reasons, but it is most likely that your girl has colitis (inflammation of the colon) which can occur with an abrupt change in diet, and this is very common in young puppies. If this were the case, I would expect the mucus to settle down within the next 3 - 4 days.

For now, please just continue feeding her regular puppy diet and do not change it. Please also be sure not to give her any other treats, snacks or human food. If after 1 - 2 days she still has this clear substance being produced, you will need to get her to your local Vet for a full check over. Also take a sample of her feces in case your Vet needs to send a sample away for culture and sensitivity to isolate a possible infectious cause. If you ever see a lot of fresh blood in her poop, then given Poppy's age and the risk of parvo virus, you really will have to get her to your regular Vet first thing tomorrow.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vivian,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Poppy. How is everything going?
Pet Doc