Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My beagle ingested about 650mg of mag citrate, she is

Customer Question

My beagle ingested about 650mg of mag citrate, she is ordinarily a little constipated. I am concerned that it might hurt her. She weighs about 26 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Magnesium citrate at this dosage is not toxic. A study reports that with single doses less than 1200 mg per kg, diarrhea and gas are what you can expect to see. Read more on this here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9617734
You might switch to a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and decrease amount being fed a little to help control the diarrhea. Keep plenty of fluids available for her to drink to prevent dehydration.
Please do not give dogs salt to your dog. That will cause her to have an upset stomach. If you are trying to induce vomiting, that is only effective for about an hour after ingestion and you can find instruction on inducing vomiting here:
http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Hi Linda,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Linda Fish. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No issues at all, she is fine. No loose bowels and just as beagley as ever.
I'm so glad to hear that she didn't even experience loose bowels. It wasn't that large of a dose. Thanks for letting me know the outcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
JaCustomer,
I'm confused. You responded "no". What was that in response to?