Christian K.
Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

We gave our dog a shower and after that we noticed he was

Customer Question

We gave our dog a shower and after that we noticed he was squinting with his right eye. We flushed the eye twice but not for very long and After about two hours he seems to have trouble opening it and it is watering a lot. We do not know if shampoo got in it or he scratched it. The vets are closed and we would like to know what we can do here at home
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Is he rubbing at the eye? Is the discharge from his eye clear? What did you use to flush it? What kind of shampoo did you use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aloha Christian, thank you so much for your help. We used Castile soap, but we are unsure on what it was. He runs away after the shower and he rubs his face and body on the bed. We are thinking that it could have been the soap or perhaps a piece of the towel we use for drying him got into his eye. He rubs his eye when he wakes up. He has been sleeping ever since this happened. We had flushed his eye three times with saline water and he has not opened his eye.The discharge is white but what is worrying us is that he is not opening his eye at all. the saline solution says 99%purified water. Even tough the other eye is fine, he is not opening the other eye in full. We don't know if we should take him into the ocean, we are very worried. It's Sunday and the vet offices are not opened today. I will greatly appreciate your input
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added a file

Thank you for answering those questions and sending the picture. I suspect the shampoo did cause his cornea to be damaged. It is possible that he has an ulcer on his cornea from the shampoo that is causing pain and his squinting. The best you can do at this point is to continue to use the saline to soothe his eye. It can be done as much as needed until you can have him seen. Your vet will probably apply a stain to his eye to assess the damage to his cornea and then prescribe some medications. Have him seen as soon as you possibly can. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your response. You have given us peace of mind so much. Do you think that taking him into the ocean would be a good idea at this point ? Or how many flushes should we continue to do ?

I wouldn't recommend the ocean, the saline solution is much better and sterile as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Thank you so much for your help

You're welcome. Have a great night.

Hi Derrick,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Prince. How is everything going?
Christian K.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aloha,
We have seen the vet and he did have an ulcer on his eye. They gave us two types of eye drops and some pain med for seven days. He seems to be doing much better and we are hoping his eye recovers. What if any could be the long term problems associated with this type of injury? The vet said maybe surgery after seven days if it doesn't heal? What are your thoughts? Thank you so much.

It's good to hear from you. I'm glad you are getting him treated. If the ulcer heals well, and most do without surgery, then there might be a small scar on the cornea that will be whitish in color. It would be like having a spot on the lens of a set of eyeglasses. It doesn't really affect vision much at all. The bigger and deeper the ulcer, the bigger the scar. In most cases these heal extremely well.