Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog just delivered her first puppy...it probably didn't

Customer Question

My dog just delivered her first puppy...it probably didn't make it as it doesn't move much and isn't breathing. Mom isnt nursing it but Mom is laying down licking it anyway and occasional starts that digging of her nest with her front paws so I assume she has more to deliver. How long between puppies and how will I know when she doesn't have anymore to deliver...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
HiCustomer
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Let me start with what to do with pups first. If the puppy has just been born and doesn't start breathing on its own, you want to take your bulb syringe and clear the fluid out of the mouth. Holding the puppy firmly head down you will want to briskly rub the puppy vigorously with a clean dry towel. This sometimes stimulates the puppy into breathing.
If the puppy does not start breathing, you can perform mouth to nose to get them breathing again as well. Hold the mouth closed and breathe gently into its nose. Do not blow hard and then rub the puppy briskly and pat the back.
Here is a site that discusses the technique for a dog, the techniques are similar.
http://www.dog-toy.co.uk/dogarticles/?article=485
If it hasn't been breathing this long, then it likely didn't make it. Small toy breeds have from 1-5 puppies. Larger breeds can have very large litters but usually between 3-9 puppies.
Puppies can be born as close together as to appear to be twins though normally there is 10-45 minutes between puppies. So the time it takes to have puppies can be as long as 9 hours or as short as 15 minutes for a single pup litter.
If your female has been or continues to struggle to deliver a puppy for more than an hour, you will want to have her seen by your vet as the puppy is stuck.
If your dog is actively straining to deliver a puppy for more than 20-25 minutes, or there is longer than an hour or so between puppies being born and you feel there are more puppies, she needs to be seen by a vet.
Sometimes puppies are too large to be born and get stuck. They can also experience uterine intertia and you need a visit to determine if a shot to restart labor is needed.
It isn't unusual for there to be from 10 minutes to an hour between puppies being born. So keep an eye on the clock and record the time each puppy is born so you can accurately judge when a vet visit may be needed.
It is possible for a mother to not deliver all her pups. Usually when a pup is retained, a dog does not act normal. They may appear restless, distressed, actively straining, lethargic, non-interested in their pups.
However, once your dog is eating, drinking, urinating, nursing her puppies, cleaning them and basically acting normal, she has most likely delivered all her puppies.
If you feel there is a puppy still inside your female after she seems to be too tired to continue, then you should take her to the Vet to be sure. It's a good idea to take her and the pups in anyway for a post whelping checkup to ensure all placentas were delivered as well
Here is a site on this information.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/dystocia-difficult-birth-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1628&articleid=899
Now let me give you a site on normal delivery procedures.
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Colette Phillips. How is everything going?