Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My friend just called me and said that her elderly shepherd

Customer Question

My friend just called me and said that her elderly shepherd mix dog is chewing off a growth on the side of his leg. The growth has been there a while but has very recently turned hard. The dog, Cody, is terrified of vets.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

Unfortunately, even if terrified, we can't allow that to be the reason for much needed veterinary care to be delayed any further.

That growth is very likely already secondarily infected, and this problem is going to get exponentially worse.

A vet visit is really necessary. Cody may need to go on some antibiotics, and perhaps, they can do some alternative topical therapies. But, without that vet visit, we don't know what options are available.

I wish I could do more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All vets are closed at this time. What should we do for Cody in the mean time?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

You can apply neosporin to the area. If a bit inflamed, you can also use some topical hydrocortisone.

Protect it! Wrap it. Whatever you can do to prevent any further self-trauma to the area.