Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Dog has been itching repeatedly. gave flea bath no fleas,

Customer Question

dog has been itching repeatedly. gave flea bath no fleas, oatmeal bath baby lotion still scratching, changed diet no grain diet, still scrathing, benedryl last resort she is a 16.5lb boston terrier how much to give her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. The flea bath shampoos, and dips, are super drying and harsh. So it would be better to use an oatmeal shampoo, or a gentle shampoo, to help soothe the skin. I use a shampoo called "episoothe" on my dogs. You can buy it on amazon.com.

And the flea shampoos and dips only kill the fleas on the dog when they are in the tub. So you will need to use another flea product like advantage, frontline, and capstar.

You can use hydrocortisone cream, or spray, on the itchy spots three times a day.

If she is 16.5 pounds I would give her 1/2 of a 25 mg benadryl tablet every 8 hours.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?