Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Do you know about the toxic effect of imodium on a mixed

Customer Question

Do you know about the toxic effect of imodium on a mixed Australian shepherd? We suspect she may have the MDR 1 gene. She went in for diarrhea and received imodium and is in a foggy state with hypothermia
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Canine Health. If those symtoms are happening above she needs to see a Vet asap. Those are signs of Immodium toxicity in MDR1 gene dogs when they have been given immodium. The most common issues would be Sedation, Neurological issues, passing gas, and Constipation

GI Stasis,Pancreatitis are two more serious reactions.

What would be considered a severe reactions would be strong sedation as well as anorexia, excessive salivation, hypothermia and a slowed heart rate. Since you said the Dog is Hypothermic and Sedated, it is showing signs of toxicity and needs to see The Vet Asap.

Joan