Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My new puppy can't poop. Squats and pushes and I can see the

Customer Question

My new puppy can't poop. Squats and pushes and I can see the poo but it won't come out. Can I help her? She is whimpering and can't push it out. She did poo once yesterday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Be sure and read the important note below before trying any of these methods. If your pup is experiencing constipation on a regular basis you should add roughage to his diet such as canned pumpkin (not pie filling kind) or Metamucil. A spoon full of pumpkin on the pup's food should keep his bowels hydrated and his feces soft enough to pass.
A one time use of a spoon of mineral oil on his food can also be used but should not be used all the time.
There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your pup. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator you can purchase at drug store), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help.
You can use an infant’s glycerin suppository depending on the size of your dog but the other methods are what I recommend you try first.
IMPORTANT NOTE If your dog ate a non-food item, bone or rawhide recently or if your dog is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, not eating or drinking, severe abdominal pain, the dog needs to see a vet and not treatment for constipation.. The above signs could indicate an intestinal obstruction, which you can read about here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx
If gums and tongue become pale and not a normal pink color or the rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102F is normal) or your dog becomes lethargic and non-responsive, your dog should also see a vet as soon as possible.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.