How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16179
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Clumber spaniel are a most of a fruit basket cantalope

Customer Question

My Clumber spaniel are a most of a fruit basket cantalope and watermelon about 9 hours ago. I just remembered there was a a few grapes in the mix . He weighs about 60 lb.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vitals are normal . It was about a large bowl of cubed watermelon and cantalope and a small handful of grapes . About 2 large handfuls of watermelon and 5-6 large handfuls of cantalope .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's been 20 min???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I asked the question
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available (hence the delay as it was locked on them for 15 minutes). Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, the melons are no worry for your lad. Still, I am very sorry to have to report that grapes are very dangerous for dogs, as they can cause kidney damage and failure. And as the actual toxin has not been isolated and appears to vary between grapes, we cannot predict if these few will cause him harm or not (there appears to be no link or risk with weight in the case of this fruit).
Now the dilemma in your lad's case especially is that he has eaten these grapes quite a few hours ago. Therefore, we have to appreciate that we are past a time frame where we could induce vomiting to get them back or even block absorption. He will have already absorbed any toxin present in the grapes he ate. This means we will be limited with what we can do at this stage and our supportive care options are much reduced.
Now since this toxin does target the kidneys, the main signs of damage we will need to monitor his thirst and urination. If these increase over the next week, then we'd be concerned there has been harm. Therefore, with that being a serious risk, it'd be ideal to consider having him into his vet's at this stage for IV fluids to flush this out just now +/- monitoring his blood or urine to make sure there is no hint of kidney damage. If that is all normal and they flush the toxin, we'd hope to limit any issue from his eating these.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet