Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has diarrhea and there is some blood in it. She is

Customer Question

My dog has diarrhea and there is some blood in it. She is acting normal and is eating just find so I am confused and worried. Nothing has really changed in her day to day routine either.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. If you are just seeing a small amount of blood (and maybe even some mucus), she most likely has inflammation in the colon (colitis). It is typically a dietary issue, possibly something they ate that they normally don't. Any abrupt change of food commonly causes it. It can also be caused by stress, intestinal parasites, irritable bowel syndrome, liver problems and pancreatic problems. Usually with the latter two, there are other signs. It typically looks worse than it really it. If the diarrhea is more than 50% blood, then I would be more concerned about hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. That can be serious. I would have your vet make sure there are no parasites at the very least. If he is eating well and not vomiting, it most likely isn't anything more serious. A round of metronidazole and increased fiber in the food usually helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John