Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

We have an old English dog, 5 years old. We just noticed

Customer Question

we have an old English Bull dog, 5 years old. We just noticed some sores on his belly-red and dark-when we looked closer he appears to have a little pus on the penis-not yellow but whitish looking. Any idea what this may be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Canine Health. Dr. Fiona is no longer with the site and I would like to assist you.

Can you please take a picture of the sores on the belly so I can have a visual of it?

Is he allergic to anything?

Could he have gotten into an ant pile?

Any pustules on the abdomen?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent a picture. The are red spots, one is darker and the others seem fresh and red
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Thank-you for the picture, It looks like Angus, may have gotten into something he is allergic to. It has cause a mild Pyoderma which is a bacterial infection on the skin. We can give him 1 mg per pound of Plain Benedryl per pound of body weight every 6-8 hours to help with the allergy and to see if it helps with the redness. If he is not scratching at the bumps you can just apply a little Neosporin to the red areas, which will help if there is a skin infection going on. This is common in the summer season with grasses and plants. He is low to the ground and very susceptible to this type of problem.
As for the discharge from the penis, if he is not licking it excessively or having frequent urination I suspect it is smega. It comes from dead skin cells and dirt that gets trapped in the sheath of the penis. If this continues, or gets worse, excessive licking, problems urinating, it could be more. This is some information on the discharge:
http://www.chelseadogs.com/blog/smegma-101/
I suggest if the redness does not clear up on the belly with the Neosporin, or the discharge seems to get worse, I would have Angus in to be checked out. I would just keep a watchful eye on both issues and if they seem to get worse, then a Vet visit should be done.
Joan