Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 18 month old female dog has several nipple that appear to

Customer Question

My 18 month old female dog has several nipple that appear to be scratched and bleeding. Just at the nipple, no other site. Do I need to take her to the vet? Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Have you seen Navi scratching at her mammary glands? Is Navi intact? If so, when was her last heat period and are you seeing any maternal behavior - nesting or mammary gland swelling, licking of the glands, digging, adoption of animals or objects? Can you upload a photo of her ventrum (her "underneath") to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.