Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog just received a retest today and results are 571 in

Customer Question

My dog just received a retest today and results are 571 in ALT..... we have a follow up for an ultrasound and biopsy in a week but I'm concerned. Could it be nothing still?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a 2 year old doberman and very playful, active, social dog. He is thin though around 85 pounds as he generally won't eat more than a bowl and a half sometimes two full bowls a day. He doesn't like to eat when we are not home so sometimes wait for all of us to be there or if we sit down to eat then he does. He does not show any outwardly signs that theres a problem so I'm baffled at what could cause such a high ALT levels?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
An ALT of 571 is elevated more than the 2-3X we allow before calling such an elevation significant. The ALT should be assessed with respect to his other biochemical tests, however. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Dobermans are over-represented for idiopathic (unknown cause) chronic hepatitis and copper-associated chronic hepatitis but an elevated ALT alone is not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of these diseases.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Michelle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Oak. How is everything going?