Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have been trying to figure out why my dachshund has had s

Customer Question

i have been trying to figure out why my dachshund has had his tail hanging down. its out a few inches and then just hangs down...not usual for our dog
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
If you lift the tail at that point, does it fall back down?
Does he appear to have lost the ability to lift it? Or does he seem to be holding it down?
Any swelling or tenderness when you move it?
If you pinch the end (be careful, of course), does he look or react like he can feel it?
Any recent falls or trauma?
Any swelling, lumps, sores, redness, or discomfort around his rectum?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your response. he seem to be back to normal behavior with his tail today after maybe a week of unusual behavior. he didnt seem to have lost control of his tail cause he could put it up if he wanted to. i checked his tail to see if there was soreness but he reacted strongly like he didnt want me to touch his tail, which isnt unusual. i also checke his rectum and didnt see anything unusual. no falls or trauma. but like i said, he does seem to be back to normal as of today. only thing i can think of is he has had to have more baths than usual lately cause of a bacterial skin condition, or it could be that he wasnt getting out as much as he should. although when i took him and his bro out for a specially long walk in the field the other day he still kept acting sulky or down with his tail in the unusual position. so i dont know but its good to see his tail acting "normal" again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I am glad to see that his tail signs have settled. If he was holding down in that manner (as opposed to not being able to use it), that can be a sign of discomfort. We do commonly see that when the anal glands are full, if they have had a wee trauma to the ara or if they have caught the tail in something. Still while he won't tell us which is the case for him, if he is back to normal then we can all breathe a sigh of relief and monitor that it stays that way for him.
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet