Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog Jake,, Airedale Terrier somehow tore s lower eyelid

Customer Question

My dog Jake,, Airedale Terrier somehow tore his lower eyelid left eye.. I live on a farm far away from town... Its not bleeding and he seems to be leaving it alone... do you think i can wait until tomorrow to get him to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, Stacie. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Poor Jake!
As long as it is not bleeding and he is not rubbing it raw, it is not an emergency and there is no reason you cannot wait until tomorrow. The only caveat to this I would note is that while you can flush the eye with cool water or sterile saline (ie plain contact lens solution), we do not want to put any more steroid drops in the eye. Despite being an anti-inflammatory, it will impede healing and could cause more harm then good if he has any ulcers/lacerations to the cornea from this trauma. Still, overall it is fine to monitor until his vet is open in this case.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet