Anna
Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.
6012901

My dog just age some salsa. She is 40 lbs and probably ate

Customer Question

My dog just age some salsa. She is 40 lbs and probably ate less than 1/4 cup. Is that ok?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me.
The only thing in most salsa that has potential to be a problem is onion. It is toxic to dogs. It takes about 15 to 30 g/kg of body weight to induce toxicity in dogs. For a dog this size, that would be about 1/3 cup of pure onion. If there was enough to cause a problem symptoms do not show up for several days. Loss of appetite, depression, lethargy, and diarrhea can occur.
Avocado can also be toxic, but most people don't put that in salsa.
Chances are excellent your dog will be just fine. Some of the ingredients in salsa may cause a little digestive upset, but unless it was very heavy on onions, no serious problems should result.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope this puts your mind at rest.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!