How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 27958
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog and I were int he yard. I noticed she was eating

Customer Question

My dog and I were int he yard. I noticed she was eating something. Turns out she ate the flowers of the purple day lilies. She's thrown up a few times, is not panting and doesn't have diarrhea. She's laying down now and has taken an ice cube from me with no ill effects. She's never eaten flowers before. Are they toxic?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm pleased to tell you that day lilies are non-toxic to dogs. As you can see, however, ingesting such an unusual food can cause gastrointestinal distress such as inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea. This should be transient and require no treatment. Withholding food for 6 hours would be prudent so as to rest ginger's GI tract. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin