Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

A couple of weeks ago we got a rescue dog. This dog was

Customer Question

A couple of weeks ago we got a rescue dog. This dog was found in a field and has been through four people within the last couple of months. She has had dental work done during this time (tarter removal). She has always had trouble eating (it is like she does not know how). We finally got her to eat solid food but 5 days ago she quit again. She will drink milk and pediasure but that is all. This is her 5th day going without solid food. She has also not made a sound. All she does is sleep all day and all night. She is a Chi-weiner (or so everyone thinks). She will tolerate letting you pet her but does not warm up to us and she will not let us hold her. It is almost like we don't even know we have a dog. We have taken her to the vet and he thought she might have a sore throat so we got antibiotics and some vitamins. She has been on the vitamins at least 10 days. I do not know how to get her to warm up to us. When she would eat she was very picky. I feel like I turned into a chef trying to create food she would eat (which she won't).
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Milk is not tolerated by dogs as it is for cats so I would stop giving that if it is cows milk. This could actually make her feel sick.

This is a relatively a short time to expect her to start interacting with you.Each dog is different in their trust levels , much depending on where they came from. If she has been in 4 homes then there probably have been similar problems in those other homes.

What was she like when you looked at her in the shelter? Did she come right up to you or shy away?

do you know where she originally came from? Meaning a breeder or pet store?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A person found her in a field. She was not in a shelter. We don't know any history. What do you suggest we feed her? Pediasure? It almost seems she is depressed....acts like a person that is depressed.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I would just give regular dog formula from the pet store and puppy vitamins. It is possible that her teeth are still bothering her so I would make another vet appt. It is also possible that her former home did cook for her and that is why she is not used to dog food. 4 days is too long to go without food so that is a concern. Use Pedialyte to keep her hydrated. But something is wrong, though she seems depressed, dogs will act like this when they are pretty ill, Check her gums and other vital signs. I will direct you to a site on how to do this. Also take some pancake syrup and rub it along the gum line to keep her blood sugar up.

What is Normal in dogs/ taking vital signs

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx