Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had puppies they are 3 weeks but they have loose

Customer Question

My dog had puppies they are 3 weeks but they have loose stool and are getting dehydrated what can I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee ones today.
First, i do have to warn that if these pups are already showing signs of becoming dehydrated (sticky gums, skin tents, sunken eyes), then you need to be proactive here to prevent losing them. Therefore, if they are at that state, it'd be ideal to have your local vet see them at this stage to diagnose the cause of their diarrhea, start treatment, but specifically give them fluids (either via IV or under their skin) to counter the dehydration.
Otherwise in regards ***** ***** care you can start at home, as long as you are seeing no blood in their stool, you can start them on a low dose (0.5-1ml) Kaolin/Kaopectate. This can be purchased OTC at most pharmacies or you can get this as a probiotic/kaolin combo product (ie Propectalin, Fast Balance, Protexin Prokolin) from vets, pet stores, and even Amazon. The aim of this is that this will soothe GI upset and slow the diarrhea allowing the body to take up more fluid/nutrition to keep them going but also normalize the stool
As well, if you have not wormed these wee ones already, this should be done now. Ideally, in this case, we'd want to use Panacur (available OTC at multiple locales) since it will treat for worms and some of the common protozoa that can cause diarrhea. So, this is an important base to cover as well.
Finally, as you noted dehydration, we need to ensure they are getting enough fluid to counter their losses. Therefore, we need to keep them feeding from mum but also need to consider syringe or bottle feeding electrolytes (ie Pedialyte). Their daily requirement will be 4.8ml per 100 grams of their weight plus an equivalent to their diarrhea losses. Since they are getting some from mum, we'd need to guesstimate that but that is our goal in fighting off dehydration and keeping them hydrated.
Overall, we need to tread with care if the pups are getting dehydrated. They will not have much of a body reserve and dehydration can cause weakness, collapse, and fading. So, we need to use the above to counter dehydration, address the diarrhea, and start ruling out triggers for this. If their signs linger or they are as poorly as it sounds, then further to these we'd want a check with the local vet to have them and a stool sample examined to identify the agent present and ensure we are treating it effectively (ie with antibiotics, anti-protozoal treatments, etc).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )