Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My daschund has been acting very strange. He has no fleas.

Customer Question

hi
My daschund has been acting very strange. He has no fleas. but has been itching terribly as if an allergy. tonight he is very lathargic and he has the shivers in his abdomen area. I even stuck a tiny piece of steak in front of him and he seemed completely uninterested. his chest and stomach look as if there is a rash.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow, is it going to take hours to get a response?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry that it has taken so long to answer your question.
This scratching can become so irritating to your guy that he becomes lethargic, Tommy. There is an allergic reaction of some kind and the treatment for this is as follows:
Give Sammy Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures and biopsies to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.
Does that make sense to you, Tommy?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply, I had wondered if he has itched himself so much he is just completely drained, (like a human might "over-do-it" at the gym). Last night after leaving this question, I took him outside, and again this am. In both instances he produced very little stool/poop..... and it was definitely runny and greenish in color. Am I safe to stick with this same treatment considering this? I also have "clavamox" which is not expired which was left over from a previous prescription from about a year ago.
Tommy, you can try the treatment I gave you even with this runny stool. I would not try the Clavamox unless your vet tells you to use this. The allergic reaction may cause a secondary staph infection but your vet will have to determine this.
Try this for a day or so to see if this will help sweet Sammy.