Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dachshund is trembling and very lethargic. He has not

Customer Question

my dachshund is trembling and very lethargic. He has not drank or ate anything all day.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for requesting me. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Has Simon had any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is he on any medications?

Does he have any underlying health issues?

Could he have gotten into anything unusual?

Any possibility of trauma or injury?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Friday night he got into the trash and tore it apart. the next day he was kind of slow and I did see him vomit at least once. However the next day he was back to his normal self. This morning he is when he first showed signs of trembling and slow. He hasn't vomited today but he did have an defecate in the house which is unusual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, and he is not on meds or has any health issues that we know of
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?

What was in the garbage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
his belly does see a little hard. Yes he got into the kitchen garbage.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what kind of things were in the garbage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aluminum Foil which showed signs of him chewing on, Styrofoam plates, and paper towels and napkins which also showed sings that he had chewed on them.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

You have every right to be concerned. Your dog is showing all the classic symptoms of an intestinal obstruction...the trembling (which is often a sign of pain), lethargy, anorexia and tight abdomen in the days after getting into the garbage are HUGE warning signs that your vet needs to be seen by a vet immediately.

An intestinal obstruction (likely caused by whatever else he ate out of the garbage) is what happens when the dog ingests something that is too big or too bulky to pass through the digestive tract the normal way. It gets stuck on one of the turns in the intestines and stops the flow of everything, causing your dog to get sicker and sicker until the intestine ruptures (if left untreated).

This is something that is absolutely, positively worth the drive to the emergency vet tonight. . Since your dog is already showing signs of obstruction I would strongly urge you to NOT wait until morning to have him seen...intestinal obstructions can turn fatal very quickly, so time is of the essence here.

If you're not sure where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

At the emergency vet, they'll take an x-ray to see where the obstruction is and if it's still high up in the digestive tract, they'll have to remove it surgically.

You can read more about obstructions below:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/io.html

I hope everything works out.